Sericulture is the rearing of silkworms. In addition, Sericulture includes the cultivation of Mulberry. Silkworm rearing is a good way to earn money in rural as well as in urban areas. In the previous post, you have got all the information guide on How to start Sericulture Farming in India. Furthermore, we have also included many other topics related to this. In this post, we have come up with the problems and cons of Sericulture Farming. Problems faced by workers in the Silk industry are also many.
In the world, India ranks second in production and area of sericulture farming. Even though, problems faced by farmers in Sericulture are increasing. If you maintain proper care and management in silkworm rearing, the problems may decrease to some extent.
In this post, we will discuss problems and prospects of sericulture, problems faced by farmers in sericulture, problems faced by workers in the silk industry, problems of sericulture, problems faced by the silk industry.
List of Major Problems in Sericulture Farming
Lack of Knowledge: Many farmers and individuals who wish to start this farm business are poor in technical knowledge skills of rearing silkworms.
Non-Availability of raw materials: Sometimes, most people faces difficulties in getting quality raw material to start this farm
Crop Failure: Mulberry is a major and essential component of silkworm rearing. Due to unfavorable conditions, the productivity of the mulberry crop fails.
Bio-Security Measures: One should take proper biosecurity and sanitary measures within the silkworm shed.
Pests and Diseases: Some silkworm varieties are highly susceptible to various disease-causing microbes.
Poor Marketing Facilities: some towns and rural areas in the country faces this. The absence of well-organized marketing facilities leads to a huge decrease in profits in Sericulture farming.
Unavailability of Government loans and subsidies of sericulture Farming: Central Silk Board is providing schemes related to sericulture. Many farmers face difficulties getting grants from this scheme.
Poor drainage Facilities: In Mulberry cultivation, lack of water availability leads to crop failure.
Weather Conditions: In summer, heat in the silkworm shed increases. It leads to the death of Silkworms. Coolants are used to avoid it.
Health Risks in Sericulture Farming: Silkworm rearing causes many health disorders to the laborers and the people who manage within the silkworm shed.
Health Risks with Silkworm Rearing
- In Agricultural sector, many people are venturing into Sericulture industry. Sericulture farming holds a good potential for profits. Primitive method of rearing silkworms in combination with advance technical tools has led to health problems.
- Numerous harmful chemicals engage in sericulture Industry. These chemicals are fatal to the human life.
- Co2 Carbon dioxide is evolved in rearing of silkworms. Co2 causes dermatological disorders, respiratory problems and irritations to the workers in the shed.
- Formalin HCHO (Formalin) is used as disinfectant in the shed before rearing. It is carcinogenic to the humans.
- In Mulberry Cultivation We use 2-4 D to control dicot weeds. It may cause cancer to the humans.
Unhygienic conditions: One should maintain hygienic conditions within the silkworm shed. Grasserie and Flacherie are the two epidemic diseases to the silkworms. Untidy in the farm causes the rapid spread of diseases.
Above are the major constraints and problems of Sericulture Farming in India, For more details of Sericulture Farming, comment below.