Brinjal Shoot and Fruit borer (BSFB) cultural, biological and chemical management
Brinjal fruit and shoot borer is a major and regular pest of brinjal crop causing severe economic damage up to 30 -50% of fruits or more.
Leucinodes orbonalis is scientific name of Brinjal fruit and shoot borer
Signs/ Symptoms of insect pest
- The larva of the insect pest burrows into the petioles and tender shoots of the plants resulting in drooping of leaves and shedding of flower buds.
- Severe damage is caused to the young fruits by the BSFB caterpillars as they tunnel into the fruits.
- Boreholes plugged with excreta of the insect is seen in BSFB infested fruits. Furthermore, the fruits become out of shape.
- A single BSFB caterpillar may destroy up to 4-6 fruits and the infested fruits show circular exit holes.
Prevention of Brinjal Shoot and Fruit borer
- Avoid continuous cropping of brinjal every season.
- Follow intercropping with fennel and coriander in Brinjal crop.
- Seedling treatment by dipping the brinjal seedlings in Imidacloprid @1ml/lit water before transplanting.
- Install pheromone traps in the field @4-5/acre to traps the adult BSFB moths.
- Install light traps @1-2/acre to kill moths at initial stages of infestation.
Cultural management of Brinjal Shoot and Fruit borer
- Rogueing of the damaged tender shoots, fallen fruits and fruits with bore holes to prevent further BSFB population buildup.
- Adjust the planting time by transplanting at 4th week of June.
Biological management of Brinjal Shoot and Fruit borer
- Release egg parasitoids such as Trichogramma chilonis @0.5 lakh eggs/acre.
- Spray Bt formulations of B. thuringiensis var. kurstaki in the BSFB infested field.
Chemical management of Brinjal Shoot and Fruit borer
- Spray chemical insecticides like Emamectin benzoate5%SG 80gm/acre @0.4gm/lt water or Chloronthraniliprole18.5%SC 80ml/acre @0.4ml/ lt water or Thiocloprid21.7%SC 300ml/acre @1.5ml/lt water or Thiodicarb75%WP 300-400gm/acre @1.5-2gm/lt water or Flubendamide20%WDG 150gm/acre @0.75gm/lt water or Pyriproxifen5%SC+Fenpopathrin15%EC 200-300ml/acre @1-1.5ml/lt water or Fenpopathrin30%SC 100ml/acre @0.5ml/lt water or Bifenthrin10%EC 320ml/acre @1.6ml/lt water or Spinetoram11.7%SC 200ml/acre @1ml/lt water.
Conclusion: Comment below for more insect management advisories or suggestions in vegetable crops.